How I met Your Mother long joke

0

Ok, so a while ago, we polled our followers about the life advice HIMYM had given them. That time, we thought that it would be a neat idea if we polled people about our favorite show's running jokes. The one thing I really love about How I Met Your Mother is that you feel rewarded when you are a regular fan. I'm going to quote navjost94 on reddit because he got it perfectly : "I think the best jokes are the subtle ones that pop once or twice a season that only people that have been following the show will get." And our idea was : What if we compiled all of those and made a post about it ? So thanks to our Twitter followers and to people on Reddit ! There you go !


      -The Slap Bet : a lot of episodes have been devoted to it. To quote a few,  "Slap bet", "Slapsgiving", "Slapsgiving 2 : Revenge of The Slap", "Stuff". It's awesome, that the writers thought the slapbet should go on and on. The last one will probably occur then :

     -Blame Canada : one of the best running jokes for me is Robin's Canadian-ness. Her accent is made fun of a lot by other characters ("aboot", "oot"... I had a Canadian roomate for like a year, and that really sounds like her !). Also,  Canadians are supposed to be afraid of the dark ("And we're not afraid of the dark. We don't like it. But who likes it ?"). Some other occurences : The Canadian Citizen Test given by Barney :   "Question 1: Do you want to be Canadian? Question 2: REALLY?".  Alan Thicke who made recurrent appearances in the show (and who Robin still calls). Canadian Thanksgiving that is celebrated in October. There are also a lot of other stuff like : Tim Hortons, Mounties, canadian sex positions, etc.


     -Sandwiches : Wow, sandwiches are stronger these days! Everyone who's a regular viewer of HIMYM, knows what a sandwich stands for. And no, it's not ham stuck between two pieces of bread !

     -Drunk Ted : I had to state that one. "The Pineapple Incident" is one of my favorite episodes and a lot of viewers said that nobody liked a Ted, but when he's drunk, he's kinda awesome. His best quotes are actually when he's had too much to drink : "I drank all five bitches !" "I have to sneak into the zoo and see some penguins, like, right now !" "Vomit free... since 93 !" "I don't think I will not go to the bathroom"

     -Colonel/Major/General : that joke started between Ted and Robin when they were a couple. And since we watched the episode, it seems that now, we kinda feel obligated to do so. It seems like a major thing to do, or a general trend...

     -I think 83 % of people will like this post. If you don't get it... stop reading. What are you even doing here ? ;-)

     -Lily's bisexuality. Her big dream before being a grown up was to have a lesbian affair. So far, she kissed Robin twice. In "The Prom" and in "The Broath". Robin still makes an apparition in some weird dreams Lily has...

     -Barney's catch phrases : maybe, one day, we'll post something special about them. Right now, we just love all the variations of "Legend... wait for it... dary !", "Suit up !" ("penguin suit up", "snow suit up", "flightsuit up", "birthday suited up"...)

     -Intervention : It's so awesome, I want to have some interventions with my friends.The last one was not such a long time ago with "Quinntervention". What intervention would you have with your friends ? Mine would probably be, "You're 30, not 20, get a hold of yourself you dumb kid."

    -Marshall's obsession with the supernatural. I don't share his views, because, I visited the Loch Ness and no sign of Nessie. And I  don't believe in the ET stuff. Although I believe the cockamouse totally exists. To quote Marshall : "The universe is mysterious and awesome. You got the Bermuda triangle, ghosts, Big Foot..."


     -Lawyered.: Being a teacher, I hope, I can one day say to my friends, "teachered!" I know it's grammatically incorrect but "taught"  doesn't seem so good.

     -Marshall always wins at games : We found out in "Game Night" that he also wins at "Zitch Dog" and wins at Bridge in "the Front Porch".

     -Swarley. I know it's not a running joke, But I couldn't not mention it because it's totally awesome! From now on, I'm gonna call NPH," Neil Patrick Swarlis". True Story.

     -"What is Barney's job anyway ?" Please....

     -Robin Sparkles. Because let's all go to the mall... today.

     -Star Wars : Ted is obviously obsessed with it. Barney has a stormtrooper in his apartment, and there are a lot of Star Wars related quoted in HIMYM.

Can you think of others ? Please share !